Thursday, December 14, 2006

So much to do!


I've been busy lately - too busy. I have huge list of things that just have to be done, and my Christmas cards is one of them. Every year we send out between 70-80 Christmas cards and I am running behind this year. So anyway, Aerie comes home last night and tells me that he's been thinking and has decided that he needs to prioritize. I'm like, "great idea!" Then he asks me what he can do to help me. Christmas cards seem to be the big one because they are really time consuming and we want to get them out before Christmas. So after the kids are all tucked into bed, Aerie takes out his glue stick and starts glueing stamps on the envelopes (he has like a million previously used, unstamped stamps) and writing our return address on the envelopes as well.

W
hen he is finished that, he asks me what he can do next, and offers to start baking some cookies while we are doing the cards. I tell him that it's not a good idea because it's too late, and so I tell him that he can wrap up some of the Christmas gifts - and he does. While he is wrapping he starts asking little questions like, "Okay this is for Jaden, who do we put it from? Ethan & Ty or all of us"...I'm like, "I don't know, put Ethan and Ty". Then he says, "What colour of wrapping paper should I use?"...I say, "Use all three"..."What colour of pen should I use?"... So, now I'm starting to give some attitude. I know Aerie just knows that I like things a certain way and I guess he just doesn't want to screw up...but I feel like a mom at this point. All of a sudden he says, "Wow, you're really grumpy!" The truth is, I'm really tired. It's midnight and we are not even half way through our cards.


So Aerie comes back over to the table where I am sitting and starts adding more stamps to the envelopes that I've completed. THEN he starts to do something! He licks the envelopes shut! But along with that came this most disgusting sound of slobber as he licked each envelope. Everytime he did it (about 60 times) I looked up at him with a face of disgust. I'm starting to get real irrritated by this noise and I'm like, "Ugh! Do you have to make that noise - what is that????"


T
hen he says this to me. "Tracy, how many husbands do you think would sit here and do Christmas cards with their wives, especially at 1:00 in the morning!" Then he starts going through names of husbands that we know and he's like, "Name me ONE guy that you think would do this?"..."And you're giving ME attitude for making noise while I lick the envelopes?"..."You don't know how good you've got it".


W
e both burst out laughing uncontrollably. It really put things into perspective for me. My mom told me when Aerie and I got married seven years ago to not take Aerie for granted. Aerie is a giver. He is selfless - always thinking about others before himself. He does things to make me happy and take the load off of me - things that I know not many other husbands would do, and although I never really thought I took him for granted, I am realizing that some of the things he does for me/us - I do take for granted. Aerie and I have always made it a priority to be polite to one another behind closed doors. We say thank you & please all the time, and we believe that it is a wonderful model for our boys. We can tell them to say thank you and please, but ultimately they are going to do what we do, right? Even though I say please and thank you to Aerie, sometimes I find that maybe I just do it out of habit. Last night while he was handing me piles of stamped Christmas cards, I said thank you each time, but I don't know if I really, really understood the sacrifice he was making for me - simply out of love. He just loves me and wants to spend time with me. I think that's so sweet.

I have a question. I would LOVE to hear from anyone who knows or IS a husband who would actually DO all these things that I've described here. Just so that I can tell Aerie that he's not the only one :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
I would be very surprised to hear that another husband would have the patience to do this. I had to work a 10 hour day, then drive to and from work for another hour in rush hour traffic, then I got home and helped with supper and dealing with Ty and his pooping issue. Then I gave the boys a bath before they went to bed. When they finally went to sleep at 9pm I offered to help you with the Christmas cards. After wrapping six presents and finishing the cards I went to bed at 1:30am. And I was up in the morning at 5:45am to go to work today.

I would be surprised if there was another husband out there that would do something like this.

You and I both know that this happens more often than not. You and I need to get to get our priorities in place so that we don't have to do Christmas cards all at once until 1am. This is what I love about our relationship, we are always learning and improving.

Nice blog hon.
I love you. xox

Laura said...

I do LOTS of things around the house... cleaning... repairs...shopping.....christmas cards.....gift wrap.....shopping.... mostly I just get recriminations about how much I DIDN'T do..... I suppose that is because I AM the husband AND the wife!!! I increases the workload but "we almost never fight" :-)

Teehee!
I am just teasing. I think that it is great how aware you are of little things like that. I hear a lot of complaints from co-workers and friends about their spouses' lack of participation. You have a treasure there! I think before I marry anyone I will send him over for "training", OK?

Trayce said...

Aerie,
You almost sound mad. Are you mad? :) I don't think so because at the end of your comment you said something nice.

I know you sacrifice so much for us and I really appreciate everything you do.

Did you help me with Christmas cards last year too?

Oh, and the boys were totally not in bed by 9:00. Oh I just reread your comment..."by the time they went to sleep". Ok, that sounds about right...Ty look a long time to fall asleep. But how did that even affect us? I mean it's not like we had to go upstairs and comfort him or anything.

I love you!

PS: Just think, tonight is "clean the house" night. I wish I were kidding. You take it easy though...I will do it! I can do it better anyway. Oh!!! JUST KIDDING! You just stick to licking envelopes and dishes. That sounds mean, eh? I am honestly just joking around. I can do this on e-mail because you're not here to give me "the eye". He-he!

Trayce said...

Laura:
Lol! You just go ahead and send that man over for training!
I really do know that I have a treasure. Thanks :)

Trayce said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trayce said...

Lori:

I have that issue too - I would rather do it myself sometimes because I think I can do it better. We talked about that at Lifegroup once. But I have to say that wrapping is very different. I don't like wrapping gifts at all. I am not good at it. I can never get the lines are straight looking good no matter how much effort I put into it. Aerie is excellent at wrapping, like really great. I find wrapping gifts a waste of time and energy. What I love is the final details; the finishing touches - those are what make a gift come alive! The ribbons and the colour coordinating.

Another thing about Aerie is that he has beautiful penmanship. He writes like a girl and that's a good thing. His writing is really neat and pretty. So I also don't mind if he writes the gift tags. Oh, and that's also why I let him put the return addresses on our Christmas cards (he-he).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dearest Tracy:

Rick would!! I cannot even mention some of the things he has done to support me and the kids. We discuss how we (Rick and I) are the ones who are getting ourselves into these situations where we need to "climb mount everest". And now we work slowly (baby steps) to learn how to look after each others needs and expectations by learning to communicate clearly to each other what our needs and expectations are and then working out a logical organized plan to accompish these things. I am so glad we see it now but manifesting these realizations and being able to tangibally walk them out in our everyday interactions are two very different things, right. It is a process and God is refining us all, right. It is nice when couples share their journey with other couples, eh? It makes us feel like we are "normal" sort of, whatever "normal" is. It helps ground us to the big picture and bring us back to God's utlimate plan and purpose for our lives.

Thank for sharing.

Maybe I will think of a situation that Rick supported me through that I could share. I will see if the Holy Spirit brings anything to my mind that He would have me share. But be assured I know Rick would do exactlly what Arie has done for you. You are not alone guys. Keep up your great communication with each other and your marriage will continue to bless you both.

Arn't we so blessed to have them in our lives!!

Peace and blessings I pray to you and yours in Jesus' mighty name:

Donna

Anonymous said...

Dearest Tracy:

Sorry for the double post. That is the second time I have done that today. It was a mistake.

Peace and blessings I pray to you and yours in Jesus' name:

Donna

Trayce said...

Hi Donna!

Oh, don't worry about the double post :-)

Wow, you've got yourself an amazing husband too!!! Yes, we truly are blessed. I'm going to tell Aerie about Rick.

I think that you have a beautiful family, Donna. I see you guys at church, and you guys shine! You are just a very precious family.

Love,
Tracy