Friday, November 03, 2006

Why I LOVE Bluegrass Music!


My friend Lori left a post in her blog the other day saying:

"I love Starbucks because it's more than coffee, it's an experience. We go to Starbucks as a family on a weekly basis. It's bonding and a fun outing for our kids and us. If we tell the kids we are going to Starbucks they all yell out YEAH! Nothing makes daddy more proud than to know that they appreciate Starbucks."

I think it's great that Jason and Lori do this with their children! I told Lori that I bet when her children are grown up and have their own children, they will also take their families on weekly Starbucks outings - and I'm sure it will bring them fond memories and a tradition that they will most probably want to share with their own children someday.

I think that when J & L tell the kids they're going to Starbucks, it's not necessarily Starbucks that the kids get all excited about, I think it's the experience - the bonding - special - quality time that they are sharing as a family...and probably the cookie!

In a funny sort of way, they are being "brainwashed" to love Starbucks! Right now they probably love it because mom & dad love it. But the experience of it all is going to take over one day - if it hasn't already.



Reading Lori's post on this made me think of special memories from my childhood that I still carry with me. BLUEGRASS. My dad "brainwashed" us at a very young age to love Bluegrass music. I always say that, but he didn't really brainwash us :) I remember my dad listening to Bluegrass music all the time when we were young, and he would play it really loud. He would sing along in this, oh so nasally & off-pitch tone as he picked his guitar to some Bluegrass tunes. Now I don't know if you guys have ever heard raw Bluegrass music before, but they really do sound like they're singing from their noses. Anyway, we would all laugh at the music. After a while we saw how much my dad loved it, and before we knew it we were singing these catchy tunes too. I fell in love with the experience. Not only was Bluegrass music happy music to me, but it made me feel safe too. I remember feeling so safe as I fell asleep at night listening to my dad picking his guitar and singing downstairs. My parents also took us to Bluegrass Festivals every year all over the States, rain or shine, and we'd camp out and have so much fun. I also remember many nights where my parents, brother and sister and I would sit around the table and sing in harmony while my dad would pick his guitar. We just had a great time, and to this day I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Bluegrass music....! Like, I love it! I fell in love with Aerie just a little more when he began to like it too...and our kids even love Bluegrass now. We take them to Bluegrass Festivals every year as well...and my parents, my sister and her family all come along. To Ethan & Titus, my dad is "Grandpa Bluegrass". When they see him they say "Grandpa Bluegrass, sing Froggy Went a Courtin'!" I love it, and I am so proud that my children appreciate Bluegrass. The photo that you see is of Grandpa Bluegrass and his two Bluegrass followers :)

Now if I were to ask Eth & Ty if they wanted to go to Starbucks or a Bluegrass Festival, I know they would say "BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL!!!" in a heartbeat. Jason and Lori's kids would probably say, "What's a Bluegrass Festival?"...and opt for the cookie...uhh, I mean the experience of Starbucks :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuck! Starbucks. Well, at least that is how I used to view them. I mean, who wants to drink coffee at some frilly-willy 2-buck-a-cup can't-even-figure-out-the-drink-sizes kinda place!??
And no drive-thru...what's up with that! Like I am supposed to actually get out of my car to go in there for my coffee?

And then of course there is the feeling of betrayal to myself for my lifelong oath of always loving Timmy's. I mean, Tim Horton has helped me through all of life's most difficult moments. Homework, dates, long drives, early morning wake-ups, business jam sessions, and so on. And what about all those Tim Drive Thru girls I've flirted with over the years? Don't I owe them some sort of commitment??

So for these reasons and a few more, I've stayed FARRRR away from Starbucks. Until this summer. I found myself traveling through the USA, state to state for 6 weeks. Working from my hotels at night was easy...internet's right in the room. Working from my car, while driving from one city to the next? Not so easy. My PDA does a lot...but full-fledged internet access on a big screen it's not.

Somehow I remembered hearing that Starbucks has "free" WIFI access at all its locations. So I punched starbucks into my GPS, and there musta been a million of them within a mile from where I was. Sure enough, when I pulled in to their parking lot, and flipped open my laptop, I had a good connection!

For the first few days, I just bought my coffees at Dunkin Donuts, and simply parked at Starbucks. For the next week after that, I still wouldn't actually ENTER a store...but I did start sending Phil in to get coffees for us. Hmmmm...they weren't too bad, especially Breakfast Blend (the only one I didn't need to water down).

About 2-3 weeks into the trip, after daily mapping out our drive based on where the Starbucks were in proximately to the highway, I finally gave in and did the Starbucks "thing".

"Hello, may I have a Double Ristretto Venti Nonfat Organic Chocolate Brownie Frappuccino Extra Hot with Foam and Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended" Yeah ok, I never actually ordered that, but it sure felt like it.

I spent another 3 weeks in California this fall, and Phil and I again hit all the Starbucks for their internet (which by the way is only free when you have the $40 a month T-Mobile Hotspot account...which I bought).

So here I am in this Starbucks, at 6 in the morning, and the nicest girl behind the counter asks us how long we've been in town, and were we staying. I was like "huh"? And she said she noticed us the day before, and hadn't seen us prior to that, and so we must be "new in town". Get out. I bought a cookie for that.

At another Starbucks in San Francisco, Phil tried to use his TD Canada Trust debit card. For whatever reason it doesn't work, and the girl looks up and says "Oh I don't think this machine takes cards from CANADIA". Yes, I spelled that right. KA-NAY-DEE-UH. lol Dumb as pie.

So, yes, I can see how some folks just love Starbucks. It's much more a destination and a relationship than anything else. Trust me, it's not for the coffee. And that may just be their single biggest success.

Laura said...

You are too funny tracy. You have inspired me.... I am going to do it, I have a secret, one that I don't share with everyone. I too am a "survivor" of parental brainwashing. Because of MY father, I know all the words to Paul Simon's Graceland; Neil Diamond' Coming to America, and a sad combination of Monty Python. Now that I have admitted my secret, I can begin to heal.

"Graceland, graceland, memphis Tennesee......"

Trayce said...

Oh thanks for sharing your secret with me...it's totally safe with me...hmmm, and whoever else reads this! Ha-ha! Who is Neil Diamond? Just kidding. Oh man Laura, we should start a "adult survivors of childhood brainwashing" group. The first step is admitting it! We are on our way to freedom!!!!! Ha-ha-ha!

Trayce said...

You're hilarious, Andre! Only YOU would do something like this. I have this mental picture of you & Phil.
Well, thanks for the comment - are you sure you don't have time to start your OWN blog??? He-he! Ah, you're a great friend, Andre - say hi to Lisa & Sarah from us, k!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.