Saturday, March 03, 2007

Thank you God for my food

Understanding the science of why we overeat and what causes food addiction is all pretty amazing stuff. But I want to remind you today that nothing is too difficult for God. Nothing! All we have to do is ask. It's not as complicated as we sometimes make it out to be.

Maybe you notice this as well with you, but in my life, there is always this point that I get to where I feel like I've lost all control in a certain area. I feel a sense of hopelessness and desperation, and this fierce anger comes over me. This anger is directed at the sin in my life - the area that I have lost control over. I realize that I am weak, that not only do I know that I can't do it on my own, but I don't WANT to anymore. I feel completely helpless and so exhausted.

When I reach this point I know that I am on the verge of a breakthrough - of FREEDOM. This is when I cry out and pour my heart out before the Lord. When I am at the point where I know that I cannot take one more step on my own -- I turn to God, and I let him speak to me.

I've realized that weight is an idol to me.

When I am angry, I eat. When I am bored, I eat. When I am stressed out, I eat. When I am depressed, I eat. When I am happy, I eat. I have found a source of comfort from my food. I have this love-hate relationship with food; I love it because it tastes so good, but I hate it because it makes me bloated and fat. When my emotions are out of control, I do not go to God or read the Word - I eat because it is easier.

I feel great about myself when I fit into my clothes and I feel thin, but bad about myself when I feel fat. I am not spirit-led, my weight controls my moods and my life. I draw strength from my weight and not from God. My weight is an idol to me.

I've missed out on so many of God's blessings and opportunities all because of my weight. I can't count the number of times that I've stayed home from church on Sunday mornings because I think I am fat. Just recently we had a beautiful women's banquet at our church, and I chose not to go because I felt fat.

I want to encourage all of the women who can relate to what I am saying. If we repent, God WILL heal us. He will TEACH us how to eat again. God will teach us how to eat until we are satisfied, and not until we are engorged. Every time we sit down to eat, we should thank God for our food. Food is not the enemy, and it's not our satisfaction either. Food brings strength to our bodies. When we are worried, angry and depressed, we should worship God and draw our strength from Him - not from our food. When we are eating there is an inner voice inside each of us that tells us when we are satisfied. At that point we make our choice - do we keep eating because it tastes so, so good? Or do we put our forks down and know that we are satisfied - that we don't need to eat anymore.

I am determined and so excited to not eat simply because food tastes good, but to eat because I'm feeding myself. I desire to eat healthy because I want to take care of myself, but I don't want to eat healthy to lose weight. There is nothing wrong with enjoying food when you are celebrating - weddings, showers, parties. But choose to eat to celebrate... not celebrate eating.

8 comments:

Laura said...

You have read my mail....
I too have turned a corner with this in my life and am now feeding my body for fuel and because my body feels better when it is well fed....

I am praying for you on this journey

Donna said...

You are right God can set you free Tracy and He will. I understand so intimately the battle you speak of Tracy. For me even heath food was an idol that I had to let go of. I had to give it ALL up. My "healthy" eating and my "unhealthy" eating. I had to eat "whatever" and "how much" was put on the plate in front of me no matter what I thought about it. Then I had to learn tools for coping with life dispite what I was eating or how much I weighed. I had to "die to self" in regards to my eating habits to be set free. I do not know if this makes any sense to any of you but it is a little glimpse of what I went through on my road to freedom. But it really was God that set me free in the end. I just had to give up my fight for my life (which was killing me) to get His Life eternal then He FREED me. It is very hard to put into words because it really is of God.

Anyways you can be free and you will be free and I am looking forward to seeing you free in Christ.

Grace and Peace I pray to you and yours in Jesus' mighty name:

Donna

Trayce said...

That is really good Laura. I love that we are all going through this together but on our own. You know? You're such a beautiful and amazing woman of God!

Trayce said...

Donna,
Thanks so much for sharing some of your story with us. I know it must be hard to put into words how God freed you. I would love for you to tell me your story sometime. God is so wonderful! Bless you!!!

Carrie said...

I love how honest and open you are Tracy. It makes us all feel like we are not alone. I am so encouraged by what you write. Food is definitely something I have been dealing with. I have had plenty of days of letting my feelings be controlled by how I'm feeling about myself(fat, etc). I am going to conquer this with you. I have already started not snacking or eating when I'm not hungry. This is a start : )
Love ya,
Carrie

Unknown said...

Hey Tracy,

Wow. What tremendous vulnerability in your writing. I know you describe yourself as a quiet, non-people person, but this type of writing creates community. We are all flawed. We all struggle. And when we share so openly like you have, something magical happens. The courage to reveal weakness is what's needed for all of us to find the nobility of God's stamp on us. ("Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, that Christ's power may rest on me")I can not say enough...

Steve

Trayce said...

Carrie, thank YOU for making me feel like I am not alone. I have no doubt that we are going to conquer this. It's hard work though, isn't it! Like really, really hard work. I feel like I can never let my guard down; I am always a moment away from slipping right back into that place. I am fighting though and isn't it great that we've got GOD on our team!?

Love ya too,
Trac

Trayce said...

Hi Steve,

You are very right.

Your words are encouraging - thank you!

Steve