Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cleansing my thoughts

Phillipians 4:4 states
...Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent of praiseworthy - think about such things...and the God of peace will be with you.

If we consider the brain a computer, each of us has been inputting data and setting up programs since childhood. Every kind word, criticism, smile, and insult is data. A lot of that data was false. Through all of these years of corrupted data, we may have come to believe that we are fat, ugly, stupid, weak and useless. Those beliefs have predetermined our actions and have powerfully affected our thinking.

Although I have come a long way, the battle in my mind is still an area of struggle. But I am on my way to freedom :o) I am so aware of my thoughts now. Throughout my day I fill my imagination with uplifting and good thoughts and I try to thank God as often as I can.

Just a few days ago this thought came to me as clear as a bell, "you are worthless." The thought came from out of nowhere. Right away I said outloud, "I AM worth something!" I am doing this with everything. Like when I feel overwhelmed while I am taking care of the daycare, I just begin to tell the children how much I love them and how I love spending my days with them, how thankful I am to be home, how happy I am. When I am eating food that I know is good for me, I see it nourishing my body and filling me with life. When I catch a reflection of myself or glance down at the spare tire around my waist, and those "fat and ugly" thoughts come in, I refuse to entertain such lies! I tell myself that I am fearfully and wonderfully made and I love how God made me.

Doing this alone has been helping me tremendously and it has only been a few days. I know that God is renewing my mind. And I know that the more that I think good thoughts, the better I will feel and self-discipline with come naturally.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog honey.

Laura said...

That is amazing! Thanks for your honesty! I am going to do that too!

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
These thoughts are profound. They are feelings that so many people struggle with. You willingness to share this journey on your blog, I beleive is an important part of your journey to wholeness. You do not have to bear this alone, or in secret, we are here for you. We will pray for you. Keep us posted. We so respect you for sharing so personally.

You are way to valuable to be robbed by the lies of the enemy.

I love you so much, Lori

Anonymous said...

Tracy,

I just wanted to say that I think it is great that you are sharing your struggles. It just blows me away at how so many people struggle with similar issues. Each person is unique and the struggle is specific to that uniqueness, but there is a common thread. Too often, however, people are reluctant to share those struggles with others. What results can be a sense of isolation that can be debilitating. You are doing a really incredible thing and I don't think you fully understand how many people you are blessing with your honesty.

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
I wanted to thank you for sharing in your blog. It really meant something to me because I am actually struggling with many of the same struggles as you. I really try to be positive but I am finding it hard some days. I was not feeling very cheerful tonight so after reading your blog I decided to actually look up some scriptures and prayers that would help me from feeling so awful. Thanks for being there for me tonight without actually being in contact directly with me.

Donna said...

Tracy this is great. I am so pleased to see you using the Living Word of God to transform your mind and start erasing the lies that were imprinted into your precious Life. I am working on the same process of recognizing when a lie creeps into my mind and then claiming the Truth in Jesus' name. This process is so much more powerful and successful than the years of battling I have tried in my own strength. Keep it up girl. We are free in Christ and we will Live it!

I claim protection from Spiritual attack in the name of Christ Jesus Amen.

Grace and Peace I pray to you in Jesus' mighty name:

Donna